“The whole MONTH?” “Yes.”
When Americans do have time off, we fill it with children’s sports, shopping, housework, yardwork and home improvements. Do you EVER just give yourself a break? Here are some ideas for this Memorial Day weekend:
- STOP reading and answering emails. Nothing you receive from Saturday to Monday evening is likely to be earth-shattering. You will be amazed how refreshed you can feel with this little break.
- GIVE UP your digital devices. This is a really tough one. Those who do will experience a significant shift toward peace. You could try half-way and only text and talk with family and friends.
- READ a paper book. Go to a coffee shop or a park and just sit quietly. Read if you like, or just do some people-watching.
- If you entertain, keep it SIMPLE. Buy the BBQ. Use paper plates. Spend more time sitting and talking than you do working.
- Have one UNSCHEDULED day. In other words, make Saturday, Sunday or Monday completely free of anything with a time on it. Then, relax. Stay in bed an extra hour. Linger over morning coffee. Sit and watch your kids play. Go to a movie on the spur of the moment. Do whatever the spirit moves you to do. You will be amazed at how LONG the day seems.
- Capture your THOUGHTS. Trust me, without a lot of digital interference, you are going to think more deeply and get new insights about your life. Capture the thoughts you have in a notebook or journal.