Too many people flee perfectly good jobs, because they don’t get along with the boss. It’s like leaving a bad marriage, and then realizing your next relationship is no better, because YOU are the constant.
As the song says, “Love the one you’re with.”
You are at least 50% responsible for your relationship with the boss, and you can make it better.
Your satisfaction at work is likely to come, not from the job and its requirements, but from the work itself. You are more likely to enjoy the interactions you have with others AND the expression of your many talents.
Consider if you LOVE the work. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- How is my current work an expression of my talents?
- What skills and expertise have I gained in the last year?
- How do I contribute to the culture at work?
- If my staff, peers and supervisors could use just one word to describe my contribution, what would it be? (You could take the Career Passion ® Test and give yourself a brand.)
- If you can’t easily answer these questions, your emotional and spiritual connection to your work may need some strengthening.
In the coming weeks, I’ll talk about how to get the passion back. And, how to make the job you’re IN the perfect stepping stone for something bigger and better.
Enjoy your current work, knowing that you are a person with great talents to share.