“The best thing you could do for anyone that you love is be happy!
“And the very worst thing that you could do for anyone that you love, is be unhappy, and then ask them to try to change it, when there is nothing that anybody else can do that will make you happy.” www.Abraham-Hicks.com
Just let that sink in…there is nothing anybody else can do that will make you happy. Happiness is an inside job, and happiness begins by understanding what WILL make you happy.
When you are faced with life’s challenges – loss, injuries, accidents, illness, etc. it is easy to blame these circumstances for your unhappiness. But, all of these are the temporary trials in your road right now.
True happiness comes from self-love and building a life that is pleasing to you. Here are some light-hearted tips to bring a smile to your face and a little dance in your step:
- Tell people what would make you happy. My mother was great at this. She would call a month before Mother’s Day and say: “I would really love to go to brunch with you on Mother’s Day.” Sometimes, that would be the beginning of a negotiation. Brunch could become lunch or a movie on the day before. Regardless, there were no hurt feelings, no blame and no regrets. We gave her what she wanted because she asked for it. Simple, huh?
- Plan something fun. Half the enjoyment of an experience is looking forward to it. So, get on the internet and plan something fun to do this weekend. It could be grabbing a coffee and reading the Sunday paper at a park, instead of at home. Or, go to a flea market or festival. Every community has numerous events like this, and they are often free.
- Connect with friends or family. It could be as simple as hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill. Or, a group trip to a movie. Or, making a call to an old friend. Feeling connected and loved will bring a smile back to your face.
- Start a gratitude journal. Each day, write 2 or 3 things you are grateful for. Re-write the same things if you need too, but honestly count your blessings, and you will realize they make you happy. I am so grateful for the place where we live. The trees are magnificent, and the quiet is healing.
- Send a thank-you note or card. This is very old-style, but it’s amazing how you can uplift someone’s spirits by sincerely thanking them. Remembering a birthday means the world to others. These simple acts will make you feel happy, because you’ve helped another.
- Get out and move! Exercise will lift your spirits, each and every time. Even if it’s just a 15-minute walk, moving can change your mood, get the endorphins flowing and make you feel happy.
- Pamper yourself. YES! It’s OK to get a massage, facial or manicure. If you can’t afford these things, set aside some time and do them for yourself. Or, convince your partner to do these for each other. Double the fun!
- Read something for fun. For years, I believed ALL my reading time should be for my intellectual betterment. Then, I rediscovered novels and magazines. Hey, it’s fun to escape into another world. My choices may not be yours, but when was the last time you did something, just because you loved it?
All of these things are affordable and within your reach. Make yourself happy and you will be doing a giant favor to all those around you. As the saying goes, “When Mama’s happy, everyone’s happy.” When you are happy, you spread the wealth. It’s the best thing you can do for those you love.
The Career Passion® Coach
PS: It’s hard to be happy when we’re stuck in a job that’s boring, overly-demanding, under-paid or even toxic. I’m a Career Wizard to help you understand how truly great you are, make a plan, and take action for the next step in your amazing career!