It’s OK. You’ve been conditioned to think thoughts that keep you stuck. Negative, reflexive thoughts are designed by your brain to keep you safe. My purpose is to dispel those reflexive thoughts and provide a new look at career change.
When you get your thinking aligned with your real power and talent, you can literally do anything. You can go for that promotion or raise. You can sign on with a competitor at 20%, 50% or even 100% more. You can change careers and still command an increase in pay. You can even start your own business.
It’s the thinking that’s holding you back:
- I need to wait for a better time. There’s never a better time to job search, change careers or start a business. NOW is a powerful concept. When you move with the power of your desire, you are unstoppable.
- Searching for a job could get me fired. Seriously? Do you know anyone who has been fired for searching? In this day of LinkedIn, your networking—the best way to look for work—actually benefits your company. If asked about the uptick in your LinkedIn activity, stare down the boss and say: “I want to expand my network so I can promote our mission (our services) to friends and family.”
- I don’t know what job would pay more. Here’s where a Career Coach and your business contacts can help. Be a detective and discern the Job Titles of your function, in other companies. Then, go to www.Glassdoor.com or www.Salary.com and learn what you should be making.
- I should be able to do this myself. Businesses have complex hiring processes. Even with online applications, personal connections are more important than ever before. It HELPS to have someone guiding you.
- I’ll be able to find a job quickly once I start. It takes longer than you think. The average American takes 7.2 months finding a new job! Having structure and intention can accelerate that process to just 90 days. Speed matters. You want to get a running start and keep going.